When you think of investing in a reliable elliptical trainer to conveniently work out at home, the first thing to cross most minds is the need for a compact elliptical, so that it doesn’t occupy too much space. But size isn’t everything, and there are many vital parameters and features that you need to be aware of, prior to finalizing your purchase decision.
A Compact Elliptical that meets all your needs to the hilt!
So let’s go straight to the different Elliptical Machine Features that one needs to explore!
1. Size and Design Features
- Compact design- Home versions are always more compact as compared to professional ones!
- Foldable- Many home elliptical machines boast of a hydraulic design that can be folded effectively after use.
- Wheeled- If you’re finicky about cleaning, it would be a good idea to get home a wheeled elliptical so that you can easily move it around, rather than let dust settle around areas that cannot be reached.
Not to forget the three categories of elliptical trainers that we’ve spoken about in the previous section, you should consider opting for a ‘Front Drive Elliptical’ if you’re short-statured, a ‘Rear-Drive Elliptical’ if you’re tall and a ‘Center Drive Elliptical’ if compactness is your top priority!
2. Comfort and Ergonomic Features
- Ease of Use- An ideal elliptical machine is one that you can easily use without the help of a professional trainer.
- Smoothness of Motion- The flywheel plays the core role in ensuring that your pedaling motion is fluid, seamless and doesn’t strain your joints. Generally, the heavier the flywheel, the smoother will be your motion.
- Incline Adjustment- You can gradually raise the ‘challenge level’ of your workout by increasing the incline or slope at which you’re working out. But make sure you don’t spike it up too high in one go!
- Variable Resistance- Pedaling resistance is directly proportional to effort you need to put in for pedaling, which in turn helps you burn more calories.
- Forwards and Backwards Motion- Keeps your workout from getting boring or monotonous!
- Stride Length Variation- Based on your body frame, length of your legs and feet etc, you should be able to adjust the stride length of the pedals. This is a crucial feature without which it can be very uncomfortable to use the elliptical trainer.
3. Safety Features
4. Advanced Features and Personalization
- Upper Body Workout- The basic elliptical models have provision for only lower body workout, whereas most advanced models in the market today, enable varietal workouts and help you in working various muscle groups.
- Heart Rate Monitoring- Some models have wireless heart monitors, while others have wired ones, and yet the simplest ones may not have heart monitoring facility.
- In-built Workout Programs- You can opt for pre-programmed versions to work various muscle groups, while some advanced machines enable you to feed in your preferred program.
5. Console Features
6. Warranty and Maintenance
- Frame Warranty- Most reputed elliptical machine brands offer a lifetime warranty on frames, while others might offer a 5-year period.
- Parts and Labor Warranty- The warranty period offered for parts and labor is always lower than that of the frame, and could vary anywhere between 90 days to 1 year.
Armed with excellent in-sights on the working of an elliptical, as well as its various benefits and reviewing criteria, we’re pretty sure that you’re several steps closer to finding a functionally efficient, feature-rich compact elliptical to fuel your fitness resolutions with ease!